• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Unconsciously tense muscles

protovack

Bluelighter
Have you ever been sitting or standing somewhere, and suddenly realized you were unconsciously tensing a certain muscle group for no reason at all?

There are 3 particular areas where it happens with me. My neck/back, gluteus, and abdomen. Sometimes when I walk up to something like a sink, or computer where I have to stay standing, I'll tense up my gluts for no reason at all. It doesn't help stabilize me or anything.

Other times I'll just be randomly walking around and realize that I'm flexing my abdominal muscles for no apparent reason.

It's kind of annoying!

on parade. I'm bad at drill and hold everything way too tense, when relaxing would look the same and be alot more comfy.

probably anxiety, I'm anxious over fucking up. Your probably anxious over whatever might be happening and tense up.

I do it with the muscles in my jaw. Clentching them. Recently causing tooth pain. I believe stress and Tramadol is the cause for me. They gave me a clear guard to try to protect my teeth from damage.
If you have been under a lot of stress, I'm sure that is the cause. Try to find ways to relax. The Dr. said, that you aren't even usually aware you are even doing it so its difficult to stop.

Yeah I do this too, I think it's primarily in my back and shoulders. That part of me is sore pretty much every day.

Groups of muscles/antagonistic groups can go out of whack out of having those neuromascular associations blocked and deffered associations made, or out of using them out of emotional constriction (unconsciously) and then it becomes a repeatative habit each time you try to block a certain type of emotion. It also relates to closeness to others.

That is one reason anyway! Restriction is one main reasons and automation.
Besides this, it could be that you have sustained an injury-but I doubt it, for you would have seeked a physio/doc., by now, if you thought that is the case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only with muscle-caused malpositions can one really speak of a deviation, because then we are in contradiction to the upright stance and to the laws of gravity. This can lead to a shift in the position of the inner organs, to a restriction of breathing, and, last but not least, to pain.

Damaged discs do not cause back pain,but both are caused by continual contractions of the musculature. As the vertebrae are displaced by unequally contracted muscles, so-called reduction will help only briefly, if at all. Because, if the contraction of the muscles is not simultaneously corrected, the vertebrae will slip back to their old displacement.

A muscle in the buttocks (the musculus piriformis) can be continually
contracted so tightly that it can press the sciatic nerve against the pelvic bone,
leading to typical sciatic complaints. This cause is much more frequent than what
orthopedists postulate as the jamming of a nerve root by an intervertebral disc in the
lumbar spine. Altogether, most sciatic diagnoses are false diagnoses. Mostly it is just
the musculature contraction in the buttocks and legs which hurts.

Warmth applications, on the other hand, can very well alleviate pain, as muscles and
connective tissue expand and relax under warmth.

If the cause of all this pain and limitations in the locomotor system is due directly or
indirectly to tense muscles, one will wonder how such continual contractions come
about. One does not consciously keep the muscles constantly contracted.

Normally we are used to our skeletal musculature obeying our will. For example, we
want to go to the post office and start moving our legs, or we intend to get something
out of a cupboard and thus raise our arm.

In all these voluntary movements we always have to contract at least one muscle (make it become harder and shorter) and at the same time relax at least one other muscle (make it become longer), the antagonist of the first one.

For the opposite movement, for example to bring the arm down again, the circumstances are reversed. We exert this mechanism as a matter of course and without thinking about it. It is only when we feel pain or stiffness that we notice that it is no longer functioning properly.
However, if we are suddenly frightened or slip on a banana peel, very rapid
movements take place, which are obvioiusly not consciously willed and planned.

Observing our movements in daily life, we discover that by far not all of them require
our control: we involuntarily keep ourselves in balance and execute many
movements automatically or semi-automatically (for example, when driving a car
undisturbedly). For all these kinds of movements, it is not our sensomotorial cortex
(the part of the brain which controls our voluntary, consciously executed movements)
which is responsible, but other deeper lying brain levels which usually escape our
consciousness. Habits and reflexes are stored here in the unconscious – including
those which are activated by feelings.

The border line between body and soul becomes blurred in the process. For
example, if we become frightened, is this a mental or physical process? If we come
home stressed from work in the evening, is it a physical or mental sensation? It
cannot be separated, because it is both. When we are frightened, as well as when
we are under stress, our unconscious brain regions cause muscles to contract
involuntarily, and we have unpleasant feelings in one way or another.

If fright or stress happen again and again, continual contractions of the musculature
develop and the necessary relaxation does not occur. Gradually, an unconscious
pattern of contraction engraves itself in the brain. Outwardly this pattern is usually
visible in the posture of the affected person. From fright, fear, feeling incapable, from
everything that makes us retract into ourselves, a bowed posture develops. This
means that epecially the abdominal and thoracic muscles are chronically tensed.

Unconsciously continually contracted muscles are excluded from movement in daily
life, which causes other muscles to be overburdened. This again is a source of pain.
For example, instead of the shoulder girdle, only the arms are moved, or instead of
the pelvis, only the legs. Finally, the whole torso musculature stiffens gradually.

Pain and immobility ultimately intensify one another. Often at the main contraction
points so-called „myogeloses“ develop, hard spots at certain points in the
musculature and connective tissue, which can be felt by the fingertips of practised
hands. They are very painful under pressure and are themselves again a cause for
the contraction of musculature. Microscopic analysis shows that metabolism waste
products are often encapsulated here.

Although normal massages are ineffective, through (painful) pressure massage one
can release the hardened areas. Thereby, peripheral muscle contractions can be
structurally eliminated.

On the other hand, the malpositions, in whatever way they have developed, are
functional problems of central origin. They can best be released by purposeful
movements, the development of body consciousness and re-learning good posture. It
is not the goal, as in athletics, to move as fast or far as possible, but rather to move
concentratedly, purposefully, and slowly precisely those muscles which one
otherwise unconsciously keeps continually contracted.

http://www.koerpertherapie-zentrum....h /Therapy_against_pain_without_drugs.pdf?fo

Last edited:
I catch my quads flexing randomly when I sit down sometimes. This usually happens with difficult driving or with caffeine.

Last edited:
Not if I'm just standing, or sitting somewhere. I tend to stay fairly relaxed. I tense my jaw/grit my teeth if I do anything remotely strenuous.

I've been having the involuntary flexing in my neck and abdominal muscles for last 2-3 weeks. Not my only weird symptoms, but newest one. I don't know if it's related to open surgery I had a few months ago to cut out tumors from my uterus, my anxiety or new meds.

Once I notice it, I can stop or lesson it, but it takes concentration off whatever else I'm doing. It's very annoying and begins to make my neck tired and worn. My flexing is not just tightening and loosening. It's like my muscles are sort of rolling like boiling water.

Posture, posture, posture.

Chances are you are a "swayback" look it up

Unless you have perfect posture both sitting and standing some of your muscles are constantly overexerting themselves to keep you balanced

I grind my teeth so much that I actually have a spur of bone growing sideways from my bottom jaw into the space under my tongue. I also tense my legs up underneath me when I'm sitting on a chair, almost like I'm preparing to spring off the chair if something startles me.

I have found some of the perceived "Involuntary" contractions from your subconscious are greatly exacerbated from neurotic tendencies or acute mental environments that are unwelcome. (high stress, stimulation from caffeine etc, lack of sleep, over excitability, preoccupied mind/attention)